The Housing and Homelessness Department is looking tutors to help K-8 students temporarily housed at the Town Line Inn achieve their educational goals. This opportunity will allow individuals interested in the field of education to gain hands-on experience.
- Help students complete homework assignments, essays, and take-home projects
- Encourage literacy development and improvement through grammar explanations, vocabulary games, and other activities
- Help students comprehend subject material and provide support and assistance in any problem areas students may have
- Assess the educational goals of students and make referrals where appropriate
- Develop positive relationships with students
- Perform other related duties
Skills & Qualifications:
Demonstrated knowledge in one or more academic subject areas required. Must have basic computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office programs. Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. Exceptional organizational skills required. Must have the ability to motivate and inspire. Interest and belief in urban education and students required. Must be able to work sensitively and effectively with youth of diverse ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds.
Length of Commitment:
October 2016 to May 2017
Schedule (including day and time if applicable):
Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday from 3:00 pm to 6:00 pm. Must be available for at least one three-hour shift per week.
Please submit resume and cover letter to the Human Resources Department, 178 Tremont St. Boston, MA 02111, Fax (617) 423-7693, or email firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line: After-School Tutor.